Monday, March 9, 2009

March 8 - Ashley's Birthday



Tried to get organized for a hike and a bike ride today.
The hike we started was not a hike like I might take in PA. It was an actual climb up a mountain. The trail was for one person at a time on the SIDE of the mountain…. if you lost your footing you were going down the side of the mountain. I quickly lost my breath for several reasons…..1. the sight of the steepness of the climb, 2. the altitude, 3. plain nerves. We stopped and I caught my breath and I settled down. Onward we went. Had to lean into the mountain and step up to allow people coming down to pass us. That wasn’t scary enough…..there was ice on the trail. Passed the first one ok and turned back on the second patch…..way to dangerous for me. On the way back I lost my footing on the patch of ice we first passed and scarred the you know what out of me. Ashley had to grab my hand to help me off the ice. We did find a shorter and safer trail right beside the one we came off of which turned out to be terrific. I was really upset with myself because of not being able to handle the ice patches. I think I might have been ok if ice wasn’t on the trail. But then if the trail got any narrower I’d be in trouble too.



We couldn’t bike ride because Ashley needed to get different tires for her bike and the bike shop wasn’t open today. Apparently, there are things called goat heads







We then took a ride to Taos. It was the scenic way which was outstanding. While we were there we went to see the Rio Grande Gorge. That it something seeing in person was well worth the trip. Came back and had a Mexican dinner.



No comments:

Post a Comment